Summer in the Midi-Pyrénées: culture and fresh air
The south of France is ideal for travellers looking for culture and fresh air. Whether 7 or 77, you’ll enjoy the sunny climate and unique lifestyle of this region.
When to go? This region is the sunniest in France with over 2,000 hours of sunshine. Springtime, from April to June, is the perfect time for hiking and outdoor activities as the weather is warm and the mountains are still capped with snow.
Summer temperatures in Midi-Pyrénées: July and August are naturally some of the hottest months with strong sun and intense heat. The temperature is around 75° F midday.
1. Toulouse: a friendly and welcoming city
Activities in Toulouse:
- Cultural activities: Stop by the famous “ville rose” and visit Saint-Sernin’s Basilica, located next to the Saint Raymond museum, the ancestral musuem of Toulouse.
- After your visit, take advantage of pleasant walks around the city, the most commercial streets are rue de Rome, rue Alsace Lorraine, and of course the Capitole Square.
- Nightlife: In the evening, dine in one of the many restaurants and bars in the city to discover the uniquely vibrant student life.
Finding accommodation for less:
A visit to Toulouse is not complete without a visit to the surrounding areas rich in picturesque villages and unique open air venues. Why not experience life inside one of these villages firsthand with home exchange?
Béatrice offers her home for exchange on GuestToGuest. “Our beautiful farmhouse consists of 3,000 square feet and 7 rooms. It is close to the small village of d’Auterive where you can find all the necessary conveniences. The region is crossed by the river “L’Ariège” where you can go canoeing, and we are only 20 minutes by train from Toulouse”.
2. Albi, reminiscent of ancient French history
Activities in Albi:
Less than an hour away from Toulouse, explore Albi, a small village of Tarn famous for the Sainte Cécile Cathedral.
- Cultural activities: Enjoy a walk along the calm and sunny city streets to discover the musuem of famous painter Toulouse Lautrec.
- Active excursions: For especially warm days, you can explore the entire episcopal city by water in a canoe or kayak.
Where to stay for less:
To visit the region of Toulouse and the South of France, spend your holidays in Sandrine’s home in the village of Gauré.”In the middle of the countryside, but only 18km from Toulouse, this welcoming home is ideal for the whole family or a group of friends. What you’ll love: it’s completely quiet except for the chirping of the birds. The location is ideal for bike rides and there’s a golf course just 15 minutes from the house.”
3. Ariège, hiking in the Pyrénées for an active vacation
This chain of moutains is just as enjoyable in the summer as it is in winter. Hiking is the ideal activiy for a family vacation on a budget and plenty of fresh air.
Activities in the region:
- Active excursions: There are hikes suited for all levels from several villages in the region. For the “must-see” routes we advise that you choose the route of Gavarnie, the pedestrian routes that depart from Cautererts, Luchon or Aix-les-Thermes.
- Take advantage of your proximity to Spain and Andorra for a quick trip. It should be no more than 2 hours to drive to most large tourist sites.
- Relaxing activities: Relax in Aix-les-Thermes in Ariège where you will find thermal baths to reward yourselves after a long day outside.
Lieve’s home situated in Castelnau-Durban is perfect for relaxation in the Pyrénées. “Nature is at the heart of our lives here: the region is super green and mountainous, ideal for nature walks and hikes”
4. Gers: The French capital of gastronomy!
Foie-gras, a specialty of French gastronomy finds its roots in Gers. This sunny region has much to offer throughout the year.
Activities in the region:
- Cultural activities: During your stay you can visit cities such as Auch, Condom, or even Sarrant. During summer, find your way to Viella, the center of wine, and refresh yourself with a swim in one of the many waterways of Samatan or Gondrin.
Where to stay:
Jean-Paul’s home in Gascogne is the perfect spot for a holiday of exploring the richness and diversity of the landscapes and Roman relics.